14 July, 2017
BIMCO joins forces with Shipdex to push digitalisation of data.
The move will help to drive efficiency, providing standardised information, reducing the administrative burden for ships and administrations.
BIMCO and Shipdex (www.shipdex.com) have signed an agreement to support the development and exchange of technical and logistic data across the shipping community, and to include BIMCO as an executive member of Shipdex steering committee.
The agreement was signed at BIMCO Head office, Copenhagen by Lars Robert Pedersen, BIMCO Deputy Secretary General and representatives from the original nine executive members ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢Â‚Â¬Ã¢Â€Âœ Grimaldi Group S.P.A., Mastermind Shipmanagement Ltd., Alfa Laval Tumba AB, MacGregor Group AB, Man Diesel & Turbo SE, Shipdex Consulting Ltd, Yanmar Company Ltd., G&C Shipping Ltd. and Rolls Royce PLC.
The two organisations share a common interest to promote the standardisation and digitalisation of data exchange in the shipping industry, with recently elected BIMCO President Anastasios Papagiannopoulos, setting it out as a key theme for his presidential term.
Lars Robert Pedersen, Deputy Secretary General at BIMCO said:
– This new venture will be of great benefit to our members and will complement BIMCOÃƒÂ¢Ã¢Â‚Â¬Ã¢Â„Â¢s exciting portfolio of products and services. Shipdex fits neatly with our objective to help ease the administrative burdens for ships and masters. Shipowners will be able to reduce time, administration and costs as this new system is quicker and easier to use, with zero disruption to the ship at sea.-
Shipdex Chairman, Giancarlo Coletta added- We welcome BIMCO as an Executive Member of the ShipdexÃƒÂ¢Ã¢Â€ÂžÃ‚Â¢ Protocol, as we work with the shipping industry to exchange electronic technical data between all parties, in a safe, reliable and effective way. We are convinced that ShipdexÃƒÂ¢Ã¢Â€ÂžÃ‚Â¢ Protocol is the best candidate to became the universal standard for the exchange of technical data. Securing the support of the final user is the next step ahead for the diffusion of real electronic documentation, when this happens the industry will save money, time, paper and space because ShipdexÃƒÂ¢Ã¢Â€ÂžÃ‚Â¢ Protocol has all the necessary features to became the universal standard for shipping industry.-
The Shipdex Protocol is designed to be used by shipowners, shipyards, manufacturers, classification societies and application service providers, it uses a common source database to store, retrieve, publish and exchange technical and logistic data across the shipping community. Instruction manuals, maintenance plans and spare parts catalogues can be shared between any company or organization that wishes to use it, in a neutral and standardized format, safely and securely.
For further information, please contact:
Claire Sneddon, Navigate PR, on behalf of BIMCO:
Tel: +44(0)20 3326 8459 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Marco Vatteroni, Shipdex technical manager on
Tel: +39 349 0026518 or email@example.com
BIMCO is the world largest international shipping association, with 2,100 members in more than 120 countries. Our global membership includes shipowners, operators, managers, brokers and agents. Our vision is to be the chosen partner trusted to provide leadership to the global industry. Our mission is to provide expert knowledge and practical advice to safeguard and add value to our members businesses.
BIMCO four core service areas provide value and trusted support to our members:
- Our products include BIMCO world leading standard contracts and clauses for the shipping industry and our contract editor IDEA. We also run the BIMCO Shipping KPI System which can be used to benchmark ships operational performance.
- Regulation: BIMCO takes an active role on behalf of shipowners during discussions and decisions with global and regional regulators. We work towards a level playing field for shipping, including fair trade and open access to markets.
- Information and advice: we deal with 10,000 member queries every year on many issues and see over three million page views on our website each year. Our staff share their expert knowledge with members, giving practical advice to safeguard and add value to their businesses.
- Our training activities include face-to-face courses, eLearning, webinars and tailor-made courses for companies.